My Inklings of Coherence

Meandering to the beat of a different drummer, these are my thoughts. If you are offended or angered by this blog, or feel it is of low-quality, please accept a full refund of your contribution.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

No, I can’t work here anymore.

The problems at work summarized in one interaction (and yes, this really happened):

Boss (looking at a hardcopy of a press release I prepared for her review, that she has marked up and edited in red ink): I have gone over the press release you prepared. It is not up to the level we need. There are things in here that need to be reworked. We have got to get to a place where you are submitting things that don’t need so much revision. There is a certain way that we do things around here and you have got to get to that point. I am going to need you to go back to your desk and rework this so that it is more in line with what we are looking for.

Me: Okay. I understand there may be some things that you would like for me to do differently than I am used to. I can go back and fix them. What would you like for me to fix?

Boss (putting the copy back in her folder!): Jeff, I can’t hold your hand and walk you through all of this. These are things that you are just supposed to know. I’m supposed to get you to the point where you can do this on your own.

Me: I realize that. We obviously have different ways of doing these things. Please, let me know what it is that needs to be fixed and I will take care of it.

Boss: Jeff, I have given you plenty of resources for you to go over. There are copies of releases that I have written that you pattern this after.

Me: I know. I used yours as templates for this.

Boss: Yeah, I can see that. But, still there are things that just aren’t acceptable here.

Me: This is only the third thing that I have written here. I need to have a better idea of what it is that you are looking for.

Boss: Well, I can’t just tell you how to write these things. I want to see your talent and you come up with.

Me: But you just said that I should go over your work and use them as patterns.

Boss: Now Jeff, you told me when I hired you that you had all of this experience writing releases and other things. I need to see that. I want you to go back to your desk and go over this again and fix it and give it back to me.

Me: When I spent 3 hours writing this yesterday, I went over it several times. It sounded good to me. If I go back to my office and “go over it again” it will still look good to me. I need to know what it is that you need fixed.

Boss: I need to know that you can do this on your own. In a couple of months, you will be working in a satellite office and I won’t be there to tell you how to do this.

Me (to myself): But you are here now!!!!

Me: Okay, I’ll go over it again.

Yeah, I don’t work there anymore.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home